You Can Listen to This Article Here
Can I Sell My Junk Car For Cash?
It could be your beloved first car that has outlived its purpose or an accident-damaged car, of which the memory brings a lot of pain. Whatever the reason, you have a car that is not useful to you, and you need to get rid of it. This is where the above question may cross your mind. The straightforward answer is that yes, it’s possible to sell your junk car for cash in the nearby scrap yard.
That being said, who buys run-down vehicles, and how do you go about it? How can you sell your junk car for cash? Well, look at the steps discussed below and the options you have to get the most out of the sale.
What Is Considered a Junk Car
These are severely damaged, or old cars that selling them would be more cost-effective than carrying out repairs. A car may become junk from the following issues:
- The vehicle is broken down and inoperable due to age
- The vehicle is extensively damaged, with major parts either mangled or missing.
Common Options For Selling Your Junk Car
You can sell your junk car in various ways. These include:
Sell It To A Local Junkyard
This is arguably the quickest and easiest way to sell a car. Junkyards give you an easy way to sell your junk car. A simple online search on ‘how to sell my junk car for cash’ or ‘junkyards near me’ can show the local junkyards in your locality. The best thing about junkyards is that they offer comprehensive services such as valuation and collection of the car.
Ensure you do your research well and find the yard that can give you the best value for your car with the least inconveniences. Consider contacting at least three, get quotes, the extent of their services especially towing the vehicle, and their mode of payment.
Sell The Car ‘As Is’
To sell the car this way, you’ll need to advertise your car for sale on local newspaper classified sections or social platforms. You need to indicate that you’re selling the vehicle ‘As Is.’ Ensure to disclose to the potential buyers that the car is faulty and specify the issues you’re aware of. This saves you time when you find a willing customer and fulfilling a buyer’s expectations.
Selling It As Parts
You might have an idea of the specific issue that stalled your car while the rest of the parts are still in good condition. In this case, you might consider taking your car apart. The parts you decide to take out depending on need or market availability.
If you have little or no mechanical knowledge, consider getting a mechanic to help you out. Otherwise, remove the easy parts such as the mirrors, battery, or the radio/CD unit. However, ensure you have a plan on how to dispose of the shell as you don’t want to remain stuck with a car shell in your garage and nowhere to take it.
Sell It For Scrap
Any car has a sizeable amount of metal that you can sell as scrap metal. Selling a car as scrap involves weighing the metal, and you’re paid depending on how much it weighs. If you have a heavier vehicle such as a truck, it might be more beneficial to sell them this way.
Preparing To Sell Your Junk Car
Before selling your junk, there are a few things you’ll need to consider to ensure that you get the best value.
- Have proof of ownership documents ready: When the time comes to part with the car, you’ll need to have all the necessary paperwork/title for the car ready. This eliminates the possibility of people stealing and selling cars as junk. As with the regular car sales, you’ll need to sign over the ownership of the junk car to the person you’re selling it to.
- Remove any valuables or personal items from the car: Cleaning up your car before sale makes the collection of scrap easier for the buyer. Also, check the glove box for documents or personal items you may still have stored there.
- Remove the license plate: In some states, such as Utah, license plates are specific to the owner and not transferable. So, ensure to remove the plates before you hand over the vehicle.
- Get an estimated value of the junk: You can get the price estimates from various junkyards and determine the price range. Look for a few junk car buyers from whom you can request quotations.
Can i sell my junk car for cash: Factors That May Affect The Price Of Your Junk Car
The vehicle’s location: The closer to the junkyard or scrap dealers that you line, the lower expenses you will incur transporting the car. Therefore, it’s advisable to sell closer to the location of the vehicle.
Vehicle model, make, and year of manufacture: These factors determine the demand for parts. Some vehicle parts aren’t easy to find or are quite expensive to buy new. If your vehicle has good parts in high demand, you might get a better price. Also, new models are released each year, and if yours is too old, you may see a decrease in the price buyers are willing to pay for it.
The car’s current condition: A clean, well-kept, and serviced vehicle, even though a junk car can be sold at a better price than a rusty and unkempt car of a similar model.