You Can Listen to This Article Here
How Can I Become a Network Security Engineer?
In the current digital world, a network security engineer is one of the most vital organization members. Data is the most valuable asset for any company. The current scenario demands the protection of this sensitive data. Due to increasing cyber-attacks and frauds, the need for network security engineers is on the rise.If you are a network security enthusiast, you can learn it through various online courses like advanced cyber security course, PGP in cyber security, etc. These courses are readily available online
What is a network security engineer?
A network security engineer is responsible for administering and designing security systems for organizations. He/She is a professional involved in the provisioning, configuration, and positioning of various network and security-related software and hardware pieces. The primary task of a network security engineer is to safeguard the organization’s network. He/ She protects it against potential cyber-attacks, bugs, malware, and hacking attempts. The professional should identify existing problems in security and build safeguards to avoid them in the future.
The job description of a network security engineer is as follows:
- Analyzing current security issues in the organization and formulating strategies to safeguard the data;
- Analyzing and implementing new security protocols to avoid any potential security threats;
- Implementation of anti-virus systems in the organization’s devices;
- Maintenance of the organization’s LAN, WLAN as per their business policies;
- Generation of firewalls, web protocols, and email security systems;
- Development of security authentication protocols;
- Maintenance and implementation of SOP for the network’s security;
- Supervision of any new software/hardware installments;
- Monitoring of web security gateways, network access controls, and endpoint security.
How to become a network security engineer?
Aspiring network security engineers can follow these steps to pursue a career in the field:
- Get a Bachelor’s Degree
Most positions in good companies require candidates to have a bachelor’s degree in a computer science-related field. Candidates need to understand emerging technologies and other security-related information. Candidates can also pursue targeted degrees in network science engineering. It is important to have an understanding of computer science to make a career in the field. A bachelor’s degree will lay the foundation for a promising career ahead. In addition to this, candidates also need to have a basic understanding of organizational structures and data protection.
- Get a Master’s Degree
Although it is not necessary to have a master’s degree in the field, it will increase your chances of getting hired by a good company. Some employers may prefer individuals with a master’s degree. Pursuing a master’s degree will enhance the student’s knowledge and equip him/her with industry skills. The degree will train the students in programming, mastering databases and cloud environments, designing interfaces, etc. The curriculum of such degrees is particular and highly specialized. Students with a master’s degree are in a position of advantage, but it is the skills that matter the most.
- Get some hands-on experience
It is not just one’s education that matters, but the practical skills of the individual count too. Candidates need to have a good skill set and some experience to get a good job. One way to do this is by working in fields related to it, such as computer science, programming, and data networking. Candidates must stay updated with the latest technologies and cement their skills through certification. They can also go for online certificate courses side by side.
Network Security Engineer Skills
Some of the best skills suited for a Network Security Engineer are as follows:
- The ability to pay attention to minute details to prevent cybersecurity attacks or any other related frauds;
- Analytical and understanding skills to examine computer skills and do programming;
- Problem-solving capabilities for fast recovery strategies in case of any cyber-attacks and the ability to solve any new problems;
- Technical capabilities to handle computer-related work and implementing new ways to cover risks;
- Communication skills to express any problems to teammates on security-related issues;
- Knowledge of the latest trends in the field and the ability to implement them;
- Excellent networking and programming skills;
- The ability to test, track and resolve possible threats and malfunctions;
- The ability to maintain servers. (LAN, WAN architecture;)
- The ability to build firewalls, routers, VPN, and security tools;
- Latest knowledge of cyber laws and compliance;
- Knowledge of Linux, Windows, and database platforms like MSSQL and MySQL;
- Knowledge about security system functions like encryption tools, audit functions, etc.
How Can I Become a Network Security Engineer: Conclusion
The annual average salary of a Network Security Engineer in India is about 7-9 LPA. Considering the growth rate of the cybersecurity field, Network Security Engineering is going to be one of the most popular courses. With the rise in cyber threats and hacking, each company will employ specialists in the field. Looking at the current scenario, cybersecurity experts and software developers will be the future of tomorrow.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is a Network Security Engineer?
Network Security Engineering is a profession involving the administration, provisioning, positioning, and configuration of various network and security-related software and hardware. He/She is involved in safeguarding the organization’s data and information.
- What are the common types of cyber threats which can challenge network security?
Some of the most common cyber threats are Viruses, Trojan Horses, Phishing, Spyware and Adware, Denial of Service attacks, and Zero-day Attacks. A network security engineer needs to formulate a robust security protocol to tackle these threats.