Moving to the US: Routes to Get There

Written By Alla Levin
August 07, 2020

Moving to the US: Routes to Get There

Moving to the United States is a dream that a lot of people have.

It could be because they want a better life, they love a certain part of the US, or there are better opportunities for their chosen career.

If you’re thinking about moving to the US, there are a number of ways you could move there and get permanent residency.

Different visa types give you options for how you can find your place in the country, often first staying on a temporary basis but also allowing options to extend or renew your visa or get a Green Card for permanent residency.

Move to Live with Familyoreign partner to the US to get married

Some people move to the US because they want to be closer to family members or to a partner.

If you have a relative in the country, family sponsorship can be obtained through submitting Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative).

Another option is a fiance visa, which allows a US citizen to bring their foreign partner to the US to get married.

This is obtained by filing Form I-129F, which is the first step in getting a K-1 nonimmigrant visa (also called a fiance visa).

If you get married to your partner within 90 days of entering the US, you can then apply for permanent residency.

Invest in the US EconomyInvest in the US Economy

If you have a significant amount of capital, you might become a US resident through investing in the US economy.

By investing in a new or pre-existing qualifying business, you can petition for investment in the country using an EB-5 visa.

To qualify, your investment needs to preserve a certain number of qualified jobs within the US.

Only 10,000 applications for this type of visa are accepted each year.

After the initial application, the investor can request a conditional permanent residence that’s valid for two years.

Get a Job in the USMoving to the US

Another option to settle in the US is to be sponsored through an employer.

The US can provide some great opportunities in certain industries, perhaps with more jobs available or higher salaries.

Software engineers, for example, can often achieve much higher salaries in the US compared to Europe.

You likely have some specialized skills that will help you to find a job in the country.

After receiving a job offer from a US company, you can submit Form I-140 (Petition for Alien Worker) to get an immigrant visa.

Study in the USMoving to the US

Studying in the US is also an option for moving to the country.

A student visa will allow you to stay for the length of your studies, but when you have finished studying, you might then go on to get a job in the US or find another way to extend your stay in the country.

To get a student visa, you need to be attending an educational institution.

This might be a university or college, high school, a seminary or conservatory, or another academic institution.

Vocational or other non-academic programs are also acceptable.

There are several ways to move to the US and apply for temporary or permanent residency.

Find the option that will work for you.

I Need More

Enter your Email Address to Join the
Gang of Curious and Life Loving

Related Articles