You Can Listen to This Article Here
Top 15 Scholarships to Study Abroad
What are the best scholarships to study abroad? Whenever we plan to study abroad, the thought of expensive fees always halts the process. In addition to that, there are other expenses to look for too. Fortunately for us, many developed nations, which are home to top universities, provide financial assistance to students looking forward to studying abroad.
Many colleges, universities, or even government departments have outlined special scholarship programs, especially for international students, to pursue an education in foreign universities. They believe in educating and developing students’ skills to contribute towards the overall growth of society one day.
Here are the top scholarships to study abroad that you need to look for before applying to foreign schools.
Erasmus+ European Commission
The Erasmus program provides students opportunities to complete their higher education from many organizations and institutes across Europe. It aims to help students study abroad, learn new skills, gain self-confidence and immerse themselves in a new culture. The eligibility criteria for the program vary depending on the course and the country selected.
- It is the largest provider of scholarships for studying in Europe.
- Students can apply for courses at Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral levels.
QS Scholarship Scheme
Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), which annually publishes a ranking of top universities and colleges under QS World University Ranks, also awards scholarships to international students interested in pursuing undergraduate and postgraduate studies from top colleges partnered with QS under this scheme.
- Candidates interested in MBA, or Bachelor’s, or Master’s, or Ph.D. can apply for the scholarship.
- The scholarship is provided annually and covers tuition fees only for that particular year.
HEC Paris MBA Scholarship for Excellence
All applicants who wish to study for an MBA at HEC Paris can receive scholarships up to 50% of their tuition fees. Every domestic, as well as an international student, can apply for this scholarship. Candidates might be required to apply online for the program. It is a merit-based scholarship, and the final decision will be based on academic performance, an essay, and an interview.
- Applicants can also apply for other scholarships along with the Scholarship for Excellence.
- Students can receive up to 50% scholarship, and the amount will be deducted from the final tuition fees.
- The HEC Foundation offers the scholarship.
HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund
The Government of Hong Kong established the HKSAR Government Scholarship Funds in 2008 to attract non-local students to pursue higher education and opportunities in Hong Kong. Since then, the government has been injecting funds to extend the benefits for international students.
- Endeavour Merit Award that started in 2013/14 provides scholarship award up to $15000 to the local and non-local student.
- $10000 scholarship award under Talent Development Scholarship (TDS) and Reaching Out Award (ROA) for students who have excelled in other non-academic fields.
- The Hong-Kong, China-APEC Scholarship: Students from developing APEC countries can receive scholarships, training, and internship opportunities under this publicly-funded initiative.
Destination Australia Program offers scholarships to domestic and international students who wish to undertake education in Australia and want to experience life in Australia’s regional and remote locations. The Australian Government’s Department of Education, Skills, and Employment announced the program in 2019 under the Plan for Australia’s Future Population.
- Education providers and campuses located outside major Australian cities provide scholarships up to $15000 per year.
- As per the Destination Australia Program in 2020, over 1180 scholarships were offered by 35 providers at 81 locations in regional Australia.
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists
The Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) of the Swiss Confederation awards scholarships each year to international students from over 180 countries. The program is a Merit-based scholarship that invites researchers (who have completed a master’s degree or Ph.D.) and foreign artists (who have completed their Bachelor’s degree) to study in Switzerland to promote international exchange.
- Post Graduate researchers (with minimum Master’s Degree) who plan to pursue research or study further for doctoral are eligible for the research scholarship.
- Art scholarship invites arts students from foreign countries to pursue a Master’s degree in Switzerland.
Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation
The Otsuka scholarship program allows international students to pursue education from any university or graduate school in Japan. The program will provide them with a scholarship for up to 3 years. Applicants can receive 500,000 yen and benefits from other sources. Undergraduate programs are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Applicant must be interested in studying the Japanese language (failing to do so might result in point deduction during evaluation)
- Students pursuing studies in human health, engineering, or business administration are only eligible for this scholarship.
Effiel Scholarship Program of Excellence
Inviting top international students to enroll for higher education from French Institutions, the French Ministry for Foreign Affairs has established the Effiel Scholarship Program. It intends to give quality education to international students and encourage them to become future decision-makers. The scholarship consists of a monthly allowance (1181 euro for candidates pursuing a master’s degree and 1400 euro for candidates pursuing a Ph.D.), travel and transport allowance, and health insurance, subject to certain conditions.
- Applicants up to 25 years of age from developing countries can apply at the Master’s level.
- Applicants up to 30 years of age are eligible to apply at the Ph.D. level.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
Each year, international students undertaking doctoral studies can receive scholarships, mentorship, and fellowships under this Canada program. The program invites postgraduate candidates who are working on research projects to work with the Trudeau Foundation. It is a three-year program intended to transform students into the next future leaders in their respective fields.
- Student receives training from respective leaders who are also members of the foundation.
- Scholarships up to $60000 each year to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and travel allowances.
The German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD) is a funding organization that provides support to over 100,000 German and international students who seek opportunities to study in Germany. The scholarships aim to go for post-graduation, doctoral studies, or post-doctorate in German Universities and institutions.
- Scholarships are allotted by the Selection Committees based on the candidate’s application.
- Depending on the scholarship program, the candidate can receive monthly scholarship payments, allowances, insurance, and other benefits and funds.
Scholarships to Study Abroad: Australia Awards Scholarship
Students from partner countries from the Indo-Pacific region can receive scholarships from the Australian Department of Foreign Trade to undertake full-time education at Australian universities and institutes. The program is a part of a bilateral agreement between Australia and various developing nations from the Indo-Pacific region.
- The program aims to assist scholars in their research study and develop their skills.
- The scholarship covers tuition fees, travel, and living expenses, health support, among other benefits.
The University of Tokyo, School of Science Scholarships
The Graduate School of Science invites international students for Master’s and Doctorate’s courses. And the University of Tokyo provides several scholarship options to support their education and research program. The program’s benefits include expense exemptions, loans, students’ discounts, depending on the course and scholarship.
- Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship: Monthly Stipend – 145,000 yen (Ph.D. program), 144,000 yen (Master’s program), 143,000 yen (Research Student)
- International Student Special Scholarship Program: A monthly stipend of 200,000 yen is offered to international Ph.D. students with exceptional academic performance.
- The University of Tokyo Assistance Program: 50,000-yen monthly stipend for students enrolled in the University of Tokyo
- JASSO Scholarship: 48,000 yen monthly stipend for students enrolled in the University of Tokyo
The Technical University of Munich – Scholarship for International Students
International students studying at the Technical University of Munich (TUM) can receive up to $1500 from the Bavarian government under Scholarship for International Students. The scholarship is only available for those students who need financial assistance and thus need to submit the following documents to apply for the scholarship.
- Proof of income, parents’ income, spouse’s income
- Letter explaining the financial status
- TUM grade report of the preceding semester (the good academic record is a must)
Scholarships to Study Abroad: Global Korea Scholarship Degree Program NIIED
The Global Korea Scholarship program is operated under the Department of Higher Education Internationalization. International students get an opportunity to study at higher education institutions in Korea designated with NIIED. The tuition fee for the courses is covered by the NIIED or the host institution. The program also offers one year of Korean language course bundled with the degree with no training fee.
Other scholarship benefits include:
- 900,000 KRW per month allowance for Undergrad Scholar, 100,000 KRW for Postgrad Scholars
- Travel allowance, Medical Insurance, Language proficiency grants
UBS Center Scholarship Zurich University’s Graduate School of Economics
UBS Center Scholarship is awarded to young graduates worldwide looking to take up their doctorate studies at the Graduate School of Economics, Zurich University. It is a full scholarship that covers all fees and living expenses. The program aims at inviting researchers to study in Switzerland and further magnify its position as a prime location for education.
- The scholarship is only available to Ph.D. candidates for a 4-year course.
- The value of scholarship stands at CHF 42’500 each year, subject to the candidate’s commitment to the course.
Scholarships to Study Abroad: Conclusion
Now you know about some of the best scholarship opportunities available for international students. Most of these programs will cover your complete tuition fees backed by other benefits like all the necessary resources for your research or additional courses for your development. You can study in your favorite city, in one of the top global universities, easily concentrate on your education and research projects without having to worry about the burden of any due payment.
Author Bio: Abhyank Srinet is a passionate digital entrepreneur who holds a Masters in Management degree from ESCP Europe. He started his first company while still studying at ESCP and managed to scale it up by 400% in just 2 years. Being a B-School Alumni, he recognized the need for a one-stop solution for B-School to get in touch with schools and resolve their application queries. This prompted him to create MiM-Essay, a one-of-a-kind portal with cutting-edge profile evaluation and school selection algorithms, along with several avenues to stay informed about the latest B-School Updates.