You Can Listen to This Article Here
How to Choose the Right Plumber
When dealing with a plumbing problem it is important to make sure you choose the best plumber for your specific situation. There are a lot of variables that come into play including cost, schedule, and quality which can cause you to feel overwhelmed. Here are a few things to look at when choosing a plumber for your predicament.
This is a big thing to look at and usually one that most people know. However, make sure you check multiple places for reviews. A few spots to check are the company’s Facebook (if they have one), their Google My Business, and their website. Making sure to check various places can help you have a more thorough understanding.
Reviews on a company’s website tend to be more positive because the company most likely has the most control over these. Facebook and Google My Business will most likely show you a more honest view because the company cannot simply delete a review they don’t like.
The review would have to go against community standards to be removed. You can also ask for testimonials sometimes from companies and if available they may provide you contact with someone who has agreed to speak about their experience.
One good way to choose a plumber is to ask for recommendations. You can reach out to local family and friends and ask if they have any specific plumbers they work with (or any they would say to stay away from).
This allows you to speak with someone you know and get their experience. Also, you can use a feature on Facebook to ask your friends for recommendations or use a newer platform called Nextdoor that connects you with people in your area.
This may not always be an easy find, but it can be helpful to find out how long a business has been around so that you can have a feel for their experience level. The best way for a plumber to learn the trade is for them to practice and gain experience so if you can tell that the company has been operating for a while you can have more peace of mind.
How to Choose the Right Plumber: Speak to Them
Sometimes the best way to get a feel for a company is to give them a call and ask them about the problem you are facing. Some companies will even provide free estimates so that you can have someone from the company come out and you can meet them. Companies may look good on their website but then you actually talk to them and their customer service is not what it should be. Customer service is important when dealing with contractors like plumbers considering they are coming into your home.
Once you have found a plumbing company (or have a couple to choose from) there are a few important questions to ask to make sure you are choosing the best one.
- What type of insurance do you have? This is an important question because you want to make sure that they have insurance that not only covers the health of their workers but also covers any damage that is done to your property.
- What is the estimated turnaround time? Especially when dealing with a more urgent issue it is important to have an idea of how long they estimate it will take to fix. Sometimes a problem takes a while to fix (or a part may take a while to come in) and this could cause you to need to spend a night in a hotel.
- What kind of warranty do you offer? Things happen and sometimes parts break, so it is a good idea to know what warranties are offered on the work the plumber does so you have peace of mind that if something does go wrong you do not have to fork over the full amount of money a second time.
- Can you go through the quote with me? Sometimes people do not look at quotes and just hand over their cards. Then they may look at the charge down the road and realize they were overcharged. It is good practice to have the plumber go through the quote with you so that you know what each charge is for, and you can make sure you are not overcharged accidentally.
- Are you licensed? In most states plumbers are required to be licensed; however, this is not the case for every state. You will want to make sure you choose a licensed plumber no matter where you live to make sure you are working with the best.
How to choose the right plumber
No matter the issue you always want to make sure you are hiring an experienced plumber to work on your house. Your house’s plumbing system is an integral part of the home, and it needs to be handled with care. Low cost may seem like the best way to go, but you also want to make sure the plumber is high quality. Sometimes a little extra cost for a more experienced plumber is worth it (and keep in mind you may not always have to pay more).