If you step into a dispensary, you’ll likely be asked what strain you prefer. This is because not all strains possess the same effects. While you may have heard of the traditional effects of marijuana, such as increased appetite, euphoric feelings, and drowsiness, growers can crossbreed different flowers to create unique strains that emphasize specific sensations.
If you’re looking to sample the beneficial effects of marijuana, this article provides a crash course into marijuana strains, their main categories, and which ones suit particular wants and needs.
A Beginner’s Guide To Weed Strains: Main Categories
It’s best to touch on their three main categories to ease into understanding strains. These include the following:
- Indica: These strains are known for their soothing and sedating properties, with the high more emphasized in the body. It’s common for indica smokers to feel ‘couch lock,’ which, as the term implies, makes it challenging to move from the couch.
- Sativa: Conversely, sativa strains tend to produce euphoric and uplifting cerebral effects. They’re renowned for heightening creativity and focus, making them ideal for daytime and on-the-go use.
- Hybrid: As you might expect, hybrid strains fuse the effects of indica and sativa strains, theoretically giving you the best of both worlds.
However, as hybrid strains become increasingly dominant in the market, it’s common to find sativa strains with more mellowing effects and indica strains that leave users more active and excitable. This is where specific weed strains, particularly those established in the subculture, can help funnel you toward your desired effects. Check out Stiiizy’s apple fritter strain review to get a closer look at the development of strains.
Choosing A Strain
To help guide you, the section below uses general effects to lump some of the most popular weed strains together, so you can choose which one suits you best. However, remember that a generally energizing strain can also be more sedating for certain individuals.
As mentioned earlier, these strains are ideal companions for activities like going out with friends, playing an instrument, and even enjoying a lovely sunny day. In addition, the strains below are known to relieve stress and depression.
- Blue Dream: This sativa-dominant strain combines cerebral stimulation with full-body relaxation. This strain consistently pops up as a favorite for both beginners and seasoned weed consumers. Meanwhile, medical marijuana patients use Blue Dream for chronic pain, nausea, and depression.
- Sour Diesel: This legendary sativa strain’s fast-acting, energizing yet dreamy effects have been a favorite since the 1990s. Meanwhile, people also use sour diesel to help relieve pain, stress, and depression.
- Maui Wowie: Another classic sativa strain, Maui Wowie complements its sweet pineapple flavors with euphoric and energizing effects, making it excellent for outdoor use.
- White Widow: This popular hybrid strain has been a Dutch coffee shop staple since the 1990s. Its potent bursts of energy and euphoria stimulate conversations and creativity.
- Pineapple Express: Immortalized by Hollywood, this sativa-dominant strain gives users a long-lasting, buzzy, alert, and creative high.
It bears repeating that one may have different interpretations of a particular strain’s effects. But while it can be subjective, resources like Leafly can serve as an excellent guide for beginners who want to learn more about specific strains.
The strains below serve as the perfect nightcap when you want to relax your muscles following a long flight, intense physical training, or battling insomnia.
- Northern Lights: This indican strain relaxes the muscles while easing the mind. One of the most popular strains, Northern Lights is used by medical marijuana patients to relieve pain, stress, and insomnia.
- Granddaddy Purple: This indica cross offers an incredible mix of cerebral euphoria and physical relaxation. So, while your head may be filled with happy, energetic thoughts, your body will likely stay transfixed in a spot. Medical weed patients use Grandaddy Purple to combat appetite loss, insomnia, and muscle spasms.
- LA Confidential: Another popular indica strain, LA Confidential offers a smooth blend of psychoactive and calming effects. This strain is ideal for novice weed consumers seeking utter relaxation.
Once you get used to weed-induced sensations, even pure sativa strains will be relaxing. Mostly, your preference will depend on the high you’re after, whether head or body.
Generally, when you find ‘Kush’ attached to a strain’s name, it can help you get that elusive restful sleep. Below are some examples:
- Purple Kush: This pure Indica strain sedates the physical being while washing the mind with euphoria. Apart from being an excellent sleep aid, Purple Kush is ideal for total body relaxation and stress relief.
- Bubba Kush: This indica strain is notorious for its heavily tranquilizing effects that wrap the body from head to toe. As such, it’s ideal to use Bubba Kush when you want to sign out of the world for the night.
- Afghan Kush: This strain is another ideal choice for a nightcap to a long day. Its powerful sedating effects help with stress, pain, and anxiety.
For beginners, most strains will likely lull you to sleep the first few times. Once you get used to their effects, you’ll develop a preference and discover which strains work best for different activities and purposes like visiting a museum that offers an artful experience for weed users.
While technological advancements have introduced innovative products to the market, the popular strains mentioned above will always have their place in the hearts and pipes of weed consumers. As you experiment with different types, you’ll notice nuances that can help you develop a palate for weed varieties, optimizing your consumption.