Are you tired of waking up with a sore jaw or sensitive teeth? Does your partner complain about the loud grinding noises coming from your mouth at night? Well, it’s time for you to say goodbye to teeth grinding with the help of custom night guards.
Many people suffer from bruxism, a medical term used to describe teeth grinding. Not only can this condition lead to uncomfortable symptoms like headaches and jaw pain, but it can also cause long-term dental damage.
That’s where a custom nightguard comes in. These devices are designed to fit perfectly over your teeth while you sleep, preventing any harmful clenching or grinding from occurring. They’re easy to wear and affordable, making them a perfect solution for anyone struggling with bruxism.
Let’s take a closer look at how custom nightguards work and why they’re so effective.
Prevent Dental Damage: What is Bruxism and Why Should You Care?
Before diving into the benefits of custom night guards, let’s define what bruxism is and why treating it as soon as possible is essential. Bruxism refers to excessive clenching or teeth grinding that occurs unconsciously during sleep (known as nocturnal bruxism) and during wakefulness (daytime bruxism). This condition affects millions worldwide, regardless of age, gender, or race.
While some individuals experience mild symptoms such as headaches or sore muscles upon waking up in the morning, others may suffer more severe consequences such as broken or chipped teeth, resulting in tooth loss, due to frequent gnashing leading to further complications involving implants if they don’t receive proper treatment on time.
Custom night guards are an excellent solution for people who suffer from bruxism. Here are some benefits that you can enjoy if you start using one.
- Prevent Dental Damage: One of the most significant advantages of custom night guards is that they help prevent long-term dental damage caused by bruxism. Clenching and grinding put immense pressure on your teeth, eventually leading to chips, cracks, or tooth loss with long-standing habits.
- Reduced Pain & Discomfort: Many complain about jaw pain, earaches, and headaches due to excessive clenching or grinding throughout the night. The use of custom-made night guards effectively combats these symptoms.
- No More Loud Grinding Noises: Custom-made night guards also protect those sleeping nearby from hearing loud noises caused by teeth grinding, leaving both parties feeling more rested in the morning!
How Do You Get Fitted for a Custom Night Guard?
Getting fitted for a custom-made night guard is simple. The first step involves discussing your symptoms with your dentist or orthodontist, who will examine your teeth and diagnose any underlying issues causing bruxism.
If deemed necessary, impressions of your upper and lower jaw will be taken to create a mold, producing accurate measurements. The mold is then sent off to labs where skilled technicians craft individualized mouthpieces designed precisely according to the patient’s oral structure and precise measurements, ruling out any size-related discrepancies that may cause discomfort upon usage.
Tips for Caring for Your Custom Night Guard
Taking care of your custom-made nightguard is very important as it ensures its longevity while providing maximum benefits at all times! Here are some tips on how to properly take care of it:
- Clean It Regularly: Make sure you rinse off your device every time after using warm water only; avoid using hot water because this could alter its shape and functioning altogether.
- Brush it Regularly: After you have rinsed off your device, use a soft-bristled brush and mild soap to clean any remaining debris. Once done, rinse it again to ensure no harmful chemicals remain.
- Store it Appropriately: This simple yet crucial step makes all the difference – storing your guard in its designated container keeps it safe from getting lost or misplaced.
Custom-made night guards are an excellent solution for individuals suffering from bruxism. They help prevent dental damage while reducing pain and discomfort caused by excessive clenching and grinding throughout the night.
Ensure you take proper care of your device if you invest in one! Don’t continue living with the consequences of bruxism; consult a trusted dentist or orthodontist today about acquiring a custom-made night guard for long-term relief and well-being – your teeth will thank you!