You Can Listen to This Article Here
How to Refill a Bic Lighter
Refilling your Bic lighter is not that hard of a challenge. But, you still need to follow some steps to ensure you do it correctly. The best way to refill a Bic lighter is from the top. It is quite a process but when done correctly, preserves the quality of the lighter and ensures functionality.
In this article, you will find a simple guide on how to refill a Bic lighter at home.
Refilling a Bic Lighter
Refilling from the top is easy, and you only need to disable the top of the lighter. Refilling from the top does not change the design of the lighter and contributes to its longevity.
The best survival lighter is easy to disassemble, refill, and assemble in a few simple steps.
What You Need to Refill from The Top
- A can of butane
- An Empty Bic Lighter
- A flint (optional)
- A Flathead screwdriver
- Thin wire or paper clip
Steps to Follow When Refilling from The Top
- Ensure the Bic lighter is completely empty before you refill. Test this by flicking the spark wheel until it no longer creates a flame.
- Use the flathead screwdriver to remove the hood of the Bic lighter. The hood comes as a metal surrounding the lighter just below where the flame comes from.
- Remove the child-safety guard located on the spark wheel, which is the part you turn to create a spark. Use the screwdriver under it and slowly pry it off while being careful not to break anything.
- When prying, make sure it is the direction away from you. This is because this part of the lighter tends to fly off.
- Remove the flint spring and set it aside to reuse it. Turn the flame adjuster counter-clockwise about ten times.
- Turning the adjuster will expose the fork, the part that controls how much butane leaves the fuel tank. Use the straightened paper clip or a piece of thin wire to hold the fork in an open position.
- Go ahead and refill the lighter. Insert the butane can nozzle on the open fork and press until the lighter fills up. After this, pull the clip or wire to close the fork.
- Turn the flame adjuster back to position, keeping in mind the number of times you turned it first. If you turned it ten times earlier on, turn back ten times to return it to initial position.
- Insert the flint spring and the flint into the lighter to assemble back.
- Place the spark wheel back and be careful not to damage the hinges.
- Assemble the hood back on and ensure it is secure.
- Test the lighter to see if it works. You can do this by trying to light the Bic lighter.
Safety Tips When Refilling a Bic Lighter
- Refill the lighter on a large table with a towel or cloth spread on it.
- Collect all the items you need before you start.
- Ensure the lighter is completely empty
- When disassembling, try as much as possible to keep the parts away from your face.