You Can Listen to This Article Here
Can I DIY Home Air Conditioner Maintenance?
Your home or office will become a very unhealthy place if you do not have clean air circulating through the premises. Many people suffer from allergies, which is why it is important to keep your home as clean as possible. The correct installation of the air conditioner will help clean the air from pollutants and germs. Having clean air makes you feel better, more productive and helps you stay healthier.
Modern air conditioners not only cool the air but are also able to cope with dust and bacteria, humidify or dehumidify the air as needed. Despite this is a fairly expensive device, you can save money after installing an AC system to provide the proper air conditioner maintenance service. Some of these units even outlive their owners.
AC repair or maintenance?
In short, air conditioner repair is cheaper than the installation of a new AC unit. It can usually be fixed fairly quickly. What you definitely shouldn’t do is try to fix the faulty air conditioner by yourself. If you are not certain what is wrong with your system, do a quick inspection of the unit to determine what parts may need professional intervention. This will allow you to replace damaged parts further, improving the way your system operates. But exactly the timely maintenance and not urgent repairs may save you a lot of money in the long run and create a good environment for you to live or work in.
Depending on the frequency of use, there are:
- Standard air conditioner maintenance is recommended to be done once a year, usually in the spring. The air conditioner is diagnosed, the performance of the parts and systems is checked: the freon pressure, the temperature difference at the inlet and outlet, cleaning and replacement of filters.
- Seasonal maintenance is carried out, as a rule, twice a year. Before the start of the season – in the spring, and at the end of the period of active use – in the fall.
- Extended. Useful for AC units running without interruption. Inspection, diagnostics, and cleaning are carried out on schedule.
Can I DIY home air conditioner maintenance?
Air conditioner servicing is a necessity if you want your unit is working properly. To get a good result, it is worth contacting specialists in air conditioner repair and maintenance. But there are still steps that you can do yourself:
- Always check your AC unit to ensure it is still operating correctly. Whenever you notice any signs of wear or damage on the blower, or the motor, or the power supply, turn off the air conditioner and consult a specialist.
- Сlean and change filters regularly. Clogged filters purify the air worse and reduce the air conditioner’s throughput and lead to overheating and overloading of the unit.
- Annually clean your outdoor unit on a regular day at least 60 degrees F. This is the recommended temperature where you can conduct your air conditioner cleaning. The outdoor unit usually sets comfortably in an inconspicuous location next to the home.
- Winterize an air conditioner unit. Each manufacturer has its own requirements for preserving the device for the winter. Generally, you need to check the operation of the system and then turn off and de-energize it. Some AC systems require the outdoor unit to be covered. Please read the instructions carefully and follow them so that your air conditioner is ready for use by the beginning of summer.
Please note, this will not replace professional servicing, but it will make the technician’s visit cheaper and help improve the condition of your device.
Do air conditioners need servicing?
How often do you think you should conduct a routine maintenance check-up on the air conditioner? The answer depends on the intensity of use. But you can be sure that annual air conditioner maintenance should be done at least.
A professional contractor will check vital components. If any of the parts become damaged or corroded, you will not notice it in time and have to buy a new one. Usually, a replacement can be avoided over a long time if you monitor your AC system’s condition.
The expert technician will lubricate all of the moving parts, such as the compressor bearing or nozzle adjusters. He will also change the coolant and check all pipes and joints to clear of buildup. This is just a small part of the AC servicing job that the technician will perform after the air conditioner installation.
Air conditioner maintenance service cost
The exact amount of money required to service an air conditioner depends on the type of your unit. Most modern AC systems don’t require repairs at all. Often they are barely used at all in Canada.
The majority of the market models come with automatic shut-offs, temperature regulators, and very economical use. Of course, the cost of replacing consumables such as filters does happen, but you’d be surprised how low maintenance costs are compared to repairs.
Having a faulty system can lead to you spending a lot of money to fix your air conditioner. And polluted air will affect your health over time. The good news is that you can easily find the service company by searching on Google for “home air conditioner repair near me.” By the Fee4Bee platform technicians estimates, having the unit servicing for as little as CAD 50 per season can save you hundreds over the repairs, details cost, and electric bills.