You Can Listen to This Article Here
Machine Learning Model Management: All You Need to Know
The fact that the majority of machine learning projects fail is probably common knowledge now. They fail because the process of turning a concept into a working model is incredibly complex. As a result, projects are frequently abandoned in the middle of the process. Furthermore, most businesses do not have a procedure in place to manage machine learning models.
Every machine learning project has the goal of integrating an ML model into a production application. However, it can be a difficult process putting machine learning models in production if the ML models are not well managed.
ML projects can involve the integration of many machine learning models, it is for this reason that model management is so important. Model management is also essential because of the production of several models that need to be grouped properly. This article discusses all you need to know about machine learning model management.
What Is Machine Learning Model Management?
ML model management is the process of building, training, versioning, and deploying ML models. ML model management frameworks improve the efficiency of an ML process by allowing relevant teams to communicate. These frameworks take care of the model management throughout the ML lifecycle. ML model management is incorporated in the (MLOps) process. Model management is a new category of technology and processes that help firms design, evaluate, deliver, and monitor ML models.
At scale, machine learning models should be consistent and meet all business needs. A rational, easy-to-follow model management policy is required to make this happen. This policy is followed to reproducible trials by recording metrics, losses, code, data, and model versioning. ML model management enables the building of ML models in repeatable configurations for reusability.
The tracking of experiments is an example of an issue that model management handles. ML models go through a fast-paced experimentation phase that uses many models and methodologies are applied. This is to see how well they perform on the metrics that are used to train the ML model.
As previously stated, model management is part of the MLOps framework. It is divided into several components, each of which optimizes for a different aspect of Machine Learning development. These components are discussed below.
- Data versioning: Version control solutions assist developers in managing source code changes. Data version management is a set of tools and methods that aims to adapt the version control process to the data world. Data version management helps to manage ML model changes in connection to datasets and vice versa.
- Code versioning or notebook checkpointing: This is used to keep track of changes to the source code of the model.
- Continuous model integration: These deal with building the ML model by using several ML algorithms. It also involves hyperparameter tuning.
- Experiment tracker: It collects, organizes, and tracks model training performance over several iterations. These configurations include learning rate, epochs, optimizers, loss, batch size, etc.
- Model registry: This is a centralized tracking system for ML models that have been trained, staged, and deployed.
- Continuous ML model deployment: This is another essential ML model management component. It helps to deal with putting ML models in production to be used to solve real-life problems.
- Model monitoring: It is used to track the model’s inference performance and detect any signs of serving Skew. The skew occurs when data changes. This causes the deployed model’s performance to deteriorate below the training accuracy
- Dashboard: A central dashboard is used to visualize the metrics connected to ML models and query all the models and experiments. It is also used to share results with collaborators and examine the models
Importance of Machine Learning Model Management in ML
ML Model Management is an essential component of any machine learning process (MLOps). It makes it easy to manage the ML lifecycle from model generation through model deployment. It also helps to track different experiments.
ML Model Management in MLOps enables collaboration and asynchronous data scientist collaborations. Other benefits of MLOps and Machine learning model management are listed below
- Assists in the creation of ML pipelines to deploy, reproducible ML model processes for consistent model delivery;
- Quick deployment of correct models with high quality at every step through the use of profiling and model validation;
- Helps track resources utilizing dataset registries and sophisticated model registries;
- Reduces volatility in model iterations. It also provides resiliency for enterprise-level scenarios with repeatable learning and models;
- Tracks code, metrics, and data in the execution log;
- Creates, deploys, and manages reproducible model workflows for consistent model delivery;
- Manages model migration to the production environment.
The following is a collection of best practices for managing machine learning models:
1. Best Practices for Managing Models
Starting with an interpretable model makes it easier to debug. It is also recommended to keep the first model simple and get the infrastructure and tools right.
2. Best Practices for Managing Codes
It is also recommended to manage codes by using continuous integration to ensure that the code is continuously being updated.
3. Best Practices for Managing Deployments
To manage ML model deployment it is best to automate the model deployment. It is also good to continuously monitor the behavior of deployed models. Automatic Rollbacks for Production Models can be enabled. It is also recommended to plan to launch and iterate.
Instead of tweaking existing signals, search for new sources of data to add when the performance of the ML model reduces. Finally, it is important to store the ML model predictions with the Model’s Version and Code Version.
Machine learning model management helps to oversee and manage all of your machine learning models in production. It also assists in automating, optimizing, and speeding up your ML models. It helps guarantee that they function smoothly and efficiently in production. An ML model management framework should be part of your toolkit because it’s a requirement for using ML effectively.
This article explained all you need to know about ML model management by explaining its importance and components. Finally, the best practices to be followed when implementing ML model management were explained.