Second, only car accidents, slips, and fall mishaps account for 15% of all unintentional deaths in the U.S. About 67% of falls occur on the walking level due to slips and trips. Slips can also stem from wet and oily surfaces, loose rugs, traction differences, and weather hazards.
- 20% of falls result in serious injuries, including broken bones and head injuries;
- 3 million people seek emergency medical treatment for fall injuries annually;
- Falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries;
- Medical costs linked to non-fatal falls amount to an estimated $50 billion yearly. Over $754 million is spent in connection to fatal falls.
Now, these alarming numbers point to costly medical bills, threats to your safety, and reduced productivity at your workplace. That’s why you must understand how to address slip and fall injuries.
Highly-skilled, experienced, and reliable lawyers at reputable law firms, like ATLInjuryLawGroup.com, for instance, can help you understand the various factors contributing to these incidents, explore the potential repercussions on your well-being and finances, and ultimately assess the damages that may be rightfully owed to you.
Slip and Fall Injuries: Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
According to data from the National Safety Council, slip and fall accidents are among the most common types of personal injury cases, accounting for many injuries and even fatalities each year. Many different environmental and human factors can contribute to slip and fall accidents, including:
- Hazardous walking surfaces – Uneven floors, damp or slippery surfaces, and loose or broken flooring materials all increase the risk of accidents.
- Poor illumination – makes detecting potential dangers complex and raises the risk of an accident.
- Weather-related elements – ice, snow, and rain can amplify these dangers by causing hazardously slick conditions.
- Human error – Ignoring safety precautions, wearing the wrong shoes, and distracted strolling can all increase the likelihood of an accident.
- Because of age-related variables or pre-existing conditions, certain groups, such as the elderly and people with mobility disabilities, may be more vulnerable to these mishaps.
Consequences of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can have numerous, wide-ranging effects detrimental to the victims’ physical, mental, and financial health. The bodily harm the victim experiences due to a slip and fall accident is one of the most prominent and immediate effects. These can range in severity from mild bruising and scraping to shattered bones, sprains, and concussions.
In other cases, these accidents leave the victim paralyzed, permanently disabled, or even in excruciating pain. As a result, the victims may develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or depression, underlining the emotional toll of these injuries.
Slip and fall accidents can have significant financial repercussions as well. The financial burden on those affected includes medical costs for care and rehabilitation, lost wages owing to time away from work, and potential future income loss if the victim cannot return to their previous profession.
These mishaps may also end in legal disputes between the victim and the property owner, adding to the costs and stress for everyone involved.
Assessing Damages in Slip and Fall Accidents
As stated earlier, slip-and-fall accidents lead to serious injuries, costly medical bills, and lost wages. Assessing damages in such cases is a process that involves:
- Determining the accident’s cause: negligence, hazardous conditions, etc.
- The collection of crucial evidence: photographs, witness statements, and medical records
- Calculating total damages, including pain and suffering, lost income, and medical costs.
A savvy personal injury lawyer can assist you in navigating the legal system, negotiating with insurance companies, and ensuring you receive fair compensation for your injuries.
The Role of a Personal Injury Lawyer in Slip and Fall Accident Cases
Navigating slip and fall injuries can be complex and challenging for victims, especially when understanding the legal intricacies involved. As such, a personal injury lawyer is invaluable. Liability must first be shown, which entails demonstrating that the property owner or occupant was careless in maintaining the premises.
The best personal injury lawyer can prove that the property owner was negligent in failing to provide a safe environment, which caused the accident.
Personal injury attorneys are skilled at compiling and presenting crucial evidence to support their clients’ claims. Moreover, they can help determine the severity of the injuries through the help of other experts, such as healthcare professionals (compiling medical records), and gather witness accounts.
Once liability has been established, a personal injury attorney negotiates with the at-fault party or their insurance provider to obtain a fair payment for their client. This might cover reimbursement for accident-related costs like medical bills, lost wages, and additional losses given pain and suffering. If a settlement cannot be reached, the personal injury attorney will be ready to proceed to trial and devoutly represent their client’s interests.
Injured From a Slip and Fall?
Slip and fall accidents can be life-altering events that leave us feeling helpless and worried about the future in a world where every step we take counts. Do you want justice and compensation for a slip and fall accident? An experienced personal injury attorney can review your case and advise you on the best action.