You Can Listen to This Article Here
A Rice Pudding That’s Worth the Cooking Time it Takes
Rice pudding can be a great dessert to enjoy at a family dinner since it has that flavor that fits perfectly after a prominent dinner -or on a hot afternoon if you like to enjoy the cold version. Yes, you can eat it hot or cold, at any time, served in glasses or plates, likewise, you can eat both in a restaurant or comfortably at home.
Characteristics of the perfect rice pudding
Knowing how to make an excellent rice pudding takes some practice, but here are some guidelines:
- The creaminess: is one of the essential characteristics of this dessert. The texture undoubtedly distinguishes a good rice pudding from a regular one; the rice should not be too liquid, nor too dry, there must be a balance between all the ingredients.
- The cooking degree of the rice: it is also essential and directly influences the final texture of the dessert. Well-cooked rice has released all the starch, which contributes to a creamier dish, and of course, it’s quite a pleasant feeling the rice so tender that it melts in your mouth.
- The taste: it is one of the main characteristics, it has to taste nice, softly sweet. A rice pudding well flavored with cinnamon and orange or lemon zest and with just the right touch of sweet is a guaranteed success.
Cooking a crockpot rice pudding is simple, following the appropriate instructions, therefore, we will give here the guidelines to prepare a great rice pudding. Check the following recipe.
- 1 liter of whole milk.
- 120 g of sugar.
- 0.5 g of orange or lemon peel.
- 0.5 g of cinnamon stick.
- 15 g of butter.
- 125 g of short-grain rice.
Start removing the peel from the orange or lemon, whatever citrus you have chosen, but be careful not to take anything from the white part of the rind. This is very important because that substance is very bitter and would spoil the final result of your rice pudding.
It is best to use a sharp knife or peeler and be extremely careful; although nothing happens if you go too deep on the rind, you can remove the white part later. In the next step, you can infuse the milk and, to achieve this, pour it into the pot along with the cinnamon and the citrus peel. Now cover it and set it for one hour at a high temperature.
After this time, add the rice. A short grain type is preferable since it is somewhat more tender and absorbs more liquid. Stir, cover again, and program two more hours on high.
After these two hours of cooking, you can integrate the sugar and stir again. If necessary, pour more milk, cover, and schedule one final hour. Once ready, pour in the butter and stir well. You can serve the rice pudding warm or cold, sprinkled with sugar, it can even be caramelized with a blowtorch if you want to give it that gourmet touch.
See another rice pudding recipe
- 1.5 L of whole milk.
- 250 g of round grain rice.
- 230 g of sugar.
- 500 ml of water.
- 50 g of butter.
- The skin of a lemon or an orange.
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sweet anise liqueur
- A pinch of salt.
- Ground cinnamon.
Heat the water with a pinch of salt. Wash the rice thoroughly and throw it little by little into the water when it is boiling. Stir continuously until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat, heat the milk together with the lemon or orange skin over medium heat, and also the two cinnamon sticks.
When it boils, leave it on the fire for 5 more minutes, so that it takes in all the flavor, next pour the milk over the rice and cook over medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes, while stirring constantly.
After the half, an hour or so, check if the rice is creamy and include the sugar and butter. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes, always stirring carefully. To finish, pour in the anise liqueur, mix one more minute and remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to serve.